Monday, February 15, 2010

Cameraless/Experimental Filmmaking

Thus far, I am absolutely loving our 6x1 class. The creative and experimental aspects of this class is exactly up my alley. I have never worked with actual film before - so obviously I have been very excited to really get my hands on actual film stock. Before I got into filmmaking/video production I was taking AP Studio Art classes with a focus on acrylic painting. The painting on film is awesome - I never thought I would actually get to paint or scratch film. I went to interview with a bunch of art schools in 2006 up in Washington D.C. and ended up interviewing with Cal Arts. That was the first time I had ever heard of or seen any examples of scratching on film. A Cal Arts student had taken some super 8 footage of roses that she had personally filmed and scratched each frame with rose thorns. This was the first time I had ever seen an experimental film where scratching was involved. Cameraless filmmaking never really occurred to be much of a possibility to me before I saw that scratch film. Of all of the techniques we have gone over so far the magazine transfer and the ink mixed with oils. The magazine transfers are probably my favorite but I think that the ink and oil will be the most appropriate for our first project. I'm looking forward to working more and more on these experimental projects in the weeks and months to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment