Monday, February 1, 2010

Synesthesia Commentary of Horrible Blogger

Since first discovering the phenomena of synesthesia my sophomore year of high school, I have been very interested in the topic. I’ve seen a couple of documentaries on synesthesia in the past one of which has stood out in my mind ever since. It had to do with synesthete-savants. Whenever one of the savants would here a number or thinks of a number a symbol or mental picture accompanied it in his head. Because of this combination of synesthesia and savantism, he was able to list off something like 10,000 decimals of the number pi. I’ve always experienced minor synesthesia throughout my life. I can remember being in elementary school and asking one of my friends as a kid if colors came to mind when he thought of a day of the week. For me Saturday and Sunday have the strongest synesthetic color connotations – Sunday is a solid brown and Saturday is a solid red. During my junior year of high school I took AP Studio Art and actually did an abstract painting that tracked a 12 minute musical jam of Phish’s “You Enjoy Myself” via an abstract expressionist-esque (i.e. Rothko-ish) color degradation on top of a black background. I’ve always had these color or graphic synesthetic connotations with music and am glad that I can try to incorporate it into a new medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment