Monday, March 1, 2010

Scratch Film Junkies Review #2

The Scratch Film Junkies film ­­­______ incorporates many different cameraless filmmaking techniques to create a crazy optical experience. I really enjoyed the initial scrolling (left to right) title sequence in the beginning. The font really reminded me of a Jasper Johns factory print style text (black, with spaces in-between the connecting pieces of each letter – looks like a stencil). The first animation seen in the film involves two-dimensional white lines that morph into people and abstractions. It reminded me of late nineteen-eighties, early nineteen-nineties African-American style art (like in Spike Lee’s ‘Do the Right Thing’). Some of the backgrounds reminded me of psychedelic backdrops shown behind bands in the sixties like the Warlocks at acid tests, the Grateful Dead, the Allman Brothers Band, Jefferson Airplane, etc. I assume that the Scratch Film Junkies applied oil and ink to get this effect. I found this effect to be the most intriguing for me when working on our Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water experimental project. I used this oil and ink effect during one of the fire reels. It looked so awesome originally but I decided to put a magazine transfer on top of certain portions of it as well. Different tints were used when there were dance scenes of people in slow-motion sequences. I really enjoyed these dance sequences – they reminded me of a Ron Rice film I once saw. I recall that there was a really cool arrow animation sequences. These animations were very simple but they worked really well in the whole mix of things. Seeing the way that their use of sandpaper applications came out really makes me regret not using this technique on our Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water reel. Many of the textures created great images that appeared like montage paintings. The film on film transfer was really awesome. I really want to do work with this application in the near future. Really awesome images came out of this salient technique. I love using text - and even more so simple yet ironic texts ad phrases - so the random words that came at the very end of the film were very captivating for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment